Bleeding whilst on the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
manfamain
not a newbie

Bleeding whilst on the pill

Unread post by manfamain »

Hi Scarleteen,

I was wondering if I had need to worry that I had some light bleeding whilst on the pill. It only lasted an hour or so and was too light for a tampon. I'm just about to finish my 3rd pack without a break and was wondering if this was the problem? Although I'm worried this could effect the effectiveness of my contraception?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Bleeding whilst on the pill

Unread post by Heather »

Spotting is one of the most common side effects of hormonal contraception methods, and is all the more common when people piggyback them, skipping placebo breaks. It doesn't change the effectiveness of those methods, so no need for concern about that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
manfamain
not a newbie

Thanks so much :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Happy to help. :)

Just FYI, though, we still do not have any studies on people under 18 piggybacking hormonal methods to know about the safety of doing so.

So, we, as an organization, do not generally advise anyone under 18 do that unless they have been directed by their healthcare provider to do so for a health condition, since we just don't know yet, at all, if there are any long-term health issues that may occur as a result.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
manfamain
not a newbie

Thanks for letting me know. I had spoken to my doctor about this previously, she said unless I ran on for more than 3 months I shouldn't have much to worry about. Although I always take my break if I can. Hopefully I'm ok health wise, contraception isn't affected by piggybacking hormonal contraception is it?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

No, contraceptive effectiveness isn't impacted by skipping the placebo break. Getting some breakthrough bleeding or spotting is also not a concern per effectiveness.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic