Period Sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Esmerelda
not a newbie

Period Sex

Unread post by Esmerelda »

So I've met this really hot guy who I was planning on sleeping with later this week, but my period suddenly came, which I was not planning. He lives somewhere else and he's only in town for one day, so it looks like I'm going to be ON if we do anything. Should I mention this before I meet up with him? He's in his 20s (I'm 19, don't worry), so he's older and probably not as freaked out by periods as younger guys. Do you think it will be an issue I should mention before seeing him which is rather awkward, "Hey, just to say, if you WERE planning on going down on me, I'm on my period..." *cute smile*. Or should I just assume it'll be ok and not mention it beforehand? Obviously I'll tell him RIGHT before. Thankyou!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Period Sex

Unread post by Heather »

This is really your call, but personally, just so no one gets concerned about having caused injury, I'm a fan of giving a heads up with periods to partners.

Also, since periods elevate STI risks, a partner may want to use extra safer sex precautions, so telling them ahead of time lets them make fully informed choices with that, and know to bring extra barriers if they want that extra protection.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Esmerelda
not a newbie

Unread post by Esmerelda »

Mm, this is very true. I'll probably bring condoms as well. Thankyou for your thoughts Heather!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It's always smart for everyone to bring their own barriers to sexual experiences, rather than relying on -- or worse still, assuming -- a partner will have them. And, of course, condoms are a must with casual sex.

Just don't forget that condoms aren't a barrier for oral sex that involves vulvas (and again, STI risks are elevated with periods), so you'll also need dams or a DIY alternative, like cling film or scissors to make a dam from your condoms.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic