Coming off the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
aj2234
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Coming off the pill

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hi guys, I just had a question about coming off the pill. Are there any common sode effects? Prior to taking the pill, my cycle was pretty irregular. Is that likely to return after coming off the pill. Also, I've noticed a few sites reference breast shrinkage as a side effect. Does that occur only if the pill caused an increase in breast swelling, or in general? I have been the same cup size since I was 15 and am now 21 and would feel very abnormal if my breasts shrunk considerably.

Also (and sorry if this is too many questions in one!) are there any negative consequences for being on bcp in the long term?

Thanks so much!
aj2234
not a newbie

Re: Coming off the pill

Unread post by aj2234 »

Just thought I'd add (in case it makes a difference), I started taking the pill when I was 19. Thanks. :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

We can't predict any of this for you, alas.

That said, after a few months, your periods should start occurring in whatever your typical cycle will turn out to be. It's most common, in the first five years or so of having periods, for them to be more irregular, so your age alone may have changed that, so they may be more regular than they were. Or, if that irregularity wasn't due to that, they may still be irregular.

Per your breasts, if the estrogen in your pill played a part in their size, then yes, you may have some breast changes, but there's nothing abnormal about your breasts being whatever size they are. But since you are reporting that your breast size is the same now as it was before you used the pill, I wouldn't expect any major changes.

The pill can safely be used for many years, so, no, being on it for a couple years - which is by no means long-term use - is not something you need to worry about health impacts from.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
aj2234
not a newbie

Unread post by aj2234 »

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the quick response.
That's fair enough. I guess when I go off it for a while, I'll find out what my body is up to. Is persistent irregularity something to be concerned about, though, or is it just one of those annoying little things?

Thanks for that. My breasts have not changed at all since being on two different pills (with no break in between), so I guess they shouldn't change too much then based on what you've said. When I meant abnormal, I just meant I would feel a bit strange having a change after so many years of consistency. But, otherwise I agree! If breast changes do occur, are they (on average), dramatic changes or just a slight decrease? Or does it depend on the person?

Thanks very much for your help.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi aj2234,

No, the irregularity isn't cause for concern, just a side effect of coming of the pill. As for changes to breasts, yep, that's one of those things were it's going to vary from person to person.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

If your periods stay persistently irregular - and that doesn't mean a few days variation each cycle, which is normal, but more like variations of a week or more - it's wise to check in with a healthcare provider.

You just want to rule out things like reproductive or hormonal problems, or culprits like not eating enough or overexercising, which can have negative impacts on your health as a whole.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic