Birth Control and BTB?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
mariesmith27
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my hard work
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Birth Control and BTB?

Unread post by mariesmith27 »

Allese 28...BTB...Questions.?
I'm just a bit confused. Ive been on Allese 28 for 9 months now. This most recent pack, I had to take the first pill on a Monday because the pharmacy closed early on the Sunday. Ive had to do this before and was fine a couple months ago. No break through bleeding at all. After I started this new pack 7 full days in and a couple hours into my 8th pill, my boyfriend and I had sex with a condom and then sex again two hours later without. We used the withdrawal method. Now about a week after and a week before my period whilst still on my active pills, brown discharge like old blood started coming out. It lasted about 6-7 days. Yesterday I noticed some bright red blood mixed with thee brownish color. There was enough to wear a tampon but it was still light . I'm done with my active pills as of two days ago... but no period yet. Ive taken two negative hpt. Was that bleeding my period ? I should add ive been overwhelmed with stress this month
Please any insight. Thanks
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth Control and BTB?

Unread post by Heather »

Spotting or breakthrough bleeding is one of the most common side effects of the pill, so even if it hasn't happened before, it isn't unusual.

But since you are sometimes having sex without condoms, I'd also want to be sure this isn't about infections. Are you and your partner both current with your STI screenings?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
mariesmith27
not a newbie

We are both up to date with tests yes. This is actually the first time we have not used a condom.
mariesmith27
not a newbie

Todays the day for my withdrawal bleed.. well between today and tomorrow. And nothing. I'm freaking out. I'm wondering if those 7 days of light bleeding was any indication that I'm not pregnant combined with the negative hpts. I cannot find a piece of mind. I have a doctors appointment on Monday. I just cannot stop stressing. I'm really scared.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

So, you've done the sound thing and taken two pregnancy tests. Assuming you took them according to the directions, you can trust the results. I'm going to give you two pieces to read that I think might help you right about now:
The Pregnancy Panic Companion
Self-Care a La Carte
mariesmith27
not a newbie

I may test again in the morning just for a piece of mind. I just wish I myself could explain the bleeding then lack there of.. but thank you for those articles.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome :)
If you think it would help, you can also take some time to think about whether or not there's something driving this pregnancy anxiety (e.g beliefs or worries that are making it hard to accept the results of the test). Sometimes, if we can work out what's behind an anxiety, it can make that feeling easier to manage.
mariesmith27
not a newbie

is it possible that I can skip a period for this whole month? I know that I experience breakthrough bleeding but does that mean that I could skip a period for this month?
mariesmith27
not a newbie

I guess I'm angry at myself because I know I'm more responsible and I feel like I made a poor decision I think that's where the anxiety comes from.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Periods can be irregular, even when you're on birth control. And, it's possible that the bleeding you thought was breakthrough bleeding was your withdrawl bleed coming early.

When you say you feel more responsible for a poor decision, could you explain a little more what that means?
mariesmith27
not a newbie

I mean even being on the pill I know I'm not ready to have a baby. And I know there are measures to take that ensure that doesnt happen and I went agAinst that in the heat of the moment by having sex without a condom regardless of if I use the pill. Maybe my guilt is fueling my anxiety.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay, so if you feel that the guilt over your choice is what's driving this, there's a few things to consider. One is that you made what you feel to be a mistake, so instead of beating yourself up over that, focus instead on a plan for how you will avoid making that same choice in the future. Then, focus on the fact that you're doing what you can now (pregnancy tests, doctors appointments) to check the consequences of your choice, which is a sound course of action.

Beyond that, I would say do some self-care and take yourself away from spaces that discuss pregnancy for a day or two. That can help break the anxiety brain cycle.
mariesmith27
not a newbie

Yes. Reading on the internet is never helpful for me. I get more anxiety doing that. My boyfriend is a little nervous too and I feel bad for that. Weve both agreed condoms from now on. Hes been supportive but it is awkward for me. Thanks for the support. I'll update a little later into the week.
mariesmith27
not a newbie

Well.. to all reading and may be going through the same thing...

Got my period. I realize now what responsibility I must always take to ensure no stress. Thanks to this cite and thread !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic