birth control pills

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
niki
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Helpful
Primary language: English
Pronouns: yes
Sexual identity: Female Straight

birth control pills

Unread post by niki »

Hello Sir/Madam,
I'm back on scarleteen again. I've doubts pertaining to birth control pills. I have never gone on birth control pills and I wish to know in depth about it. I wanted to know how birth control pills work and if they have any adverse side effects if I consume them for a longer period of time? Suppose if I wanted to go on birth control pill to prevent pregnancy and I plan to have a baby only after 28 years or so and I m on birth control till 28 years.. my doubt is if after being on birth control for so many years if I plan to go off birth control will consuming birth control pills for such long periods cause any problem to concieve a baby? I also want to know how these birth control pills help prevent pregnancy when used along with condoms? How do they work on a female's body?

My second question is:-
I have never had vaginal intercourse till date and I'm still not ready for it mentally. But If at all I plan to have vaginal intercourse, I want to know what are the safety measures I should take before I indulge in this activity? I absolutely cannot risk becoming pregnant till 28 years or so. I have often heard of condom slippage or condoms breaking inmidst intercourse. What causes that? Is it because of wrong condom size? And if it is wrong condom size then how can one pick up the right size of condom for a person's penis inorder to avoid such mishaps?

I'm sorry for my long write up. I would be really greatful if anyone answers my queries. Awaiting your reply.
Regards
Niki
Last edited by niki on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
niki
not a newbie

Re: birth control pills

Unread post by niki »

Regards**
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Niki,

I'm going to give you a few articles to read. The first one pertains to birth control pills and how they work:
Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

As for having safer sex, if you really feel you can't risk pregnancy at all, then it's best to only engage in activities that pose no risk, since even with well used reliable birth control, intercourse is never 100% without risk.

As for your question about condoms and how to use them so that they don't break, check out this piece:
All the Barriers! All the Time!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

And just to add in about your questions with using the pill and conception when you later want to conceive, that is not usually a problem for most people. It often can take anywhere from a few months to a year sometimes for people's fertility cycles to get back on track, so it can take some people a little bit longer to conceive (again, longer by months, not years) than it would were they not previously using the pill, but that's about it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
niki
not a newbie

Unread post by niki »

Thank you so much Sam and Heather for your quick response and taking out your time to go through my post :) I will be reading these articles now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic