BDSM

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
MoonStone7
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Memorised 85 digits of Pi :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight female, bi-curious

BDSM

Unread post by MoonStone7 »

Hiya,

I've been wondering about this for a while, but am I weird if I like BDSM? I'm not sure if its normal or if I just have a really messed up mind... :oops:
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
"It's lonely to be more powerful than any man you know, and have to live like a shadow. To be special, and have to pretend you're a fool."
- Merlin
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: BDSM

Unread post by Johanna »

Hi, MoonStone!

No, you are not wierd for liking BDSM. Plenty of people do, after all, and if practiced safely it can be a very satisfying part of a healthy sexuality. Do you want to talk about why you are afraid that you have a 'messed up' mind?
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
MoonStone7
not a newbie

Hi Johanna,

Phew, I'm really relieved to hear that!
Well I just feel that way because most people talk about normal romantic relationships, so I feel a bit weird that I like a different type of relationship. I guess its because most people don't talk about BDSM and its become a sort of 'gross' thing to talk about. After all the recent talk in the media about BDSM, I guess if people knew I liked it, they would find me weird, crazy or a bad person. :|
"It's lonely to be more powerful than any man you know, and have to live like a shadow. To be special, and have to pretend you're a fool."
- Merlin
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Moonstone,

I will say that it can feel like BDSM has a stigma attached to it, especially if you talk to someone who has very little (or a very twisted) idea of what it looks like. But, in all honesty, it's just one of the many ways that desire can manifest itself. Too, it can help to remember that BDSM relationships often share a lot of traits with non-BDSM ones (and lots and lots of BDSM relationships take place within happy, "normal" romantic relationships). Good communication, respect, and care are all components of well-practiced BDSM, and they're all components of a healthy relationship. So, it can help to think of it as not an either/or situation. Someone who likes BDSM does not have to give up things like romance.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You might also find the results of this recent study of interest: http://reason.com/blog/2014/11/11/kinky ... odys-weird

Take particular note of this bit:
Common/typical: Sexual scenarios that appealed to 50 percent or more of respondents were deemed common, and those that appealed to more than more than 84.1 percent of the sample were deemed typical. These included:

Sex in "an unusual place (e.g., office, public toilets)": 82 percent women + 82 percent men
Having sex with two women: 37 percent women + 84.5 percent men
Watching two women have sex: 42 percent women + 82 percent men
Having sex with a stranger: 49 percent women + 72.5 percent men
Being dominated sexually: 65 percent women + 53 percent men
Dominating someone sexually: 47 percent women + 60 percent men
Being tied up during sexual activity: 52 percent women + 46 percent men
Having anal sex: 32.5 percent women + 64 percent men
Having sex with more than three women: 25 percent women + 75 percent men
Watching someone undress without them knowing: 32 percent women + 63 percent men
Having sex with more than three people, including men and women: 56.5 percent women + 16 percent men
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MoonStone7
not a newbie

Sam,

Thanks for the reassurance - yeah, people normally talk about it in a negative way, which was why I was afraid there was something wrong with me. So thanks!

Heather,

I just checked out the website you linked, and to be honest it's made me feel a lot better! I never knew how 'normal' it is. Thanks so much for that :)

I'm really glad that I am not weird, thanks so much for clearing this up!! :D
- Merlin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic