Withdrawel bleeding

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My body
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Withdrawel bleeding

Unread post by kaykaymeg74 »

Hi,
I recently started birth control, and I got my period or withdrawel bleed when I started the placebo pills. I'm jusy curious as to what a withdrawel bleed is.. Is it like a period? Does it tell you that you're not pregnant?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Withdrawel bleeding

Unread post by Heather »

The flow you get when using a hormonal method happens as it does for two reasons:
1) Because each cycle your uterus still builds up some tissue that needs shedding, just not as much as when not using those methods, and
2) Because those methods are designed to create chemical changes that are similar to those that happen with a menstrual cycle, which include chemical changes that tell your body it's time to shed that tissue.

And yep, like a menstrual period, when someone is having withdrawal bleeding, it is because they did not conceive in the previous cycle.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

So withdrawel bleeding would start the time as my placebo pills and would technically be like a period?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Usually, withdrawal bleeds start sometime around or within your placebo pills -- most often after you start them, but not always or for everyone. But in the first few months of using the pill, you may find you don't sync up with that right away.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

So getting a withdrawel bleed is just like getting your period? Except just without putting out an egg.. Sorry I'm confused
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

It's not quite the same as a period, hence the different name. A withdrawal bleed is the body's reaction to the change in hormones brought on by transitioning from active pills to placebo pills. The lining of the uterus is already thinned by hormonal contraception, and the drop in hormone is just enough to cause the shedding of some of the uterine lining. So what's going on inside the body is a little different than what occurs during a normal menstrual cycle, but the withdrawal bleed experience for most birth control users is basically the same as a period.

So yes: no egg, and also thinned uterine lining, and thickened cervical mucus (which prevents sperm from even penetrating the cervix to enter the uterus!). The reason birth control pills are so effective is because they affect the body in several different ways to prevent pregnancy.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

Ok, makes sense . So a withdrawel bleed indicates no pregnancy ?!
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Technically, the only way to know for sure is to take a pregnancy test. But bleeding if you are pregnant would be very unlikely (it can be an indication that something is wrong, and would not look or feel like your usual period or withdrawal bleed). So while using the pill (and hopefully a backup method like condoms!) it would be very unlikely for you to become pregnant, and if you do, it would be very unlikely for you to be bleeding.

Basically, your chances of being pregnant are so tiny there's no reason to worry. If you have frequent pregnancy worries despite properly using reliable forms of birth control, addressing any underlying anxiety is the best thing you can do for your health at this point.
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

I do have anxiety about that, but technically a withdrawel bleed would be like a period, meaning that your not pregnant?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Yep, that's correct :)

If you've been having anxiety like this for awhile, it might be time to check in with a counselor, so you have someone to talk to who can help you figure out ways to address those anxious feelings.
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

It all stemmed from me thinking that I'm pregnant from grind dancing w a guy (we had clothes on) obviously pregnancy couldn't ovcur from this situation rught?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

We've already addressed that with you, including you acknowledging right from the start you knew already this is not something that can create a pregnancy.

If you want more information about the reality and facts of human reproduction and how it happens, you'll find a thorough explanation here: Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide.
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

Thank you.. That article helped a lot. I guess being anxious about it made me forget the facts of pregnancy and that it can't happen if you're wearing clothes /grind dancing. Do you think me thinking I am when I'm really not/ obsessing over this irrational fear is related to something else? I don't even know why I'd start thinking that this could cause a pregnancy in the first place
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You have described suffering from anxiety now and in the past in your other thread. So, as I suggested there, I'd advise you seek out some mental healthcare -- or go back to the therapist you saw previously -- so that you can get help with managing that anxiety.
kaykaymeg74
not a newbie

Ok thank you.. Also I was just wondering if this was a common anxiety among girls? Like I mean obviously I've done nothing to become pregnant but I'm still nervous.. So is this a common occurrence ?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

As I mentioned to you earlier, for people who have anxiety, pregnancy or fears of pregnancy are one of the most common triggers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic