No periods after abortion?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Iwanthelp
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: idk
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she, cis so no real issues if I'm misgendered
Sexual identity: bisexual. turns out biromantic as well so yay

No periods after abortion?

Unread post by Iwanthelp »

This is a follow-up to http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1314 , which should give an idea of how long its' been.

So, yeah. My friend had an abortion since...before January 13th, I don't think any periods have happened since then. They aren't on contraceptive pills/jabs, just using condoms, they took a pregnancy test recently that turned out negative, as did the one two weeks before it. The test they used said it detects it up to a week before missing period so...what's going on here? I mean I know the last thread said it's not really a 'sue people' thing but would this change that? What could it be, what do I suggest to them exactly? This isn't looking great at all...
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: No periods after abortion?

Unread post by Karyn »

Menstrual cycles may not return to normal immediately after an abortion, but if your friend is concerned then they need to check in with a healthcare provider. There's just no way for us to know what's going on here: we aren't doctors, and even if we were it's not possible to diagnose people over the internet.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Iwanthelp
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: idk
Pronouns: she, cis so no real issues if I'm misgendered
Sexual identity: bisexual. turns out biromantic as well so yay

Unread post by Iwanthelp »

Hm, thanks. That's a little less foreboding an answer than I thought I'd get, so that's looking a bit brighter I guess.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just to be clear, anytime a pregnancy ends -- whether it ends with termination, miscarriage or delivery -- it's most common for menstrual cycles to be off for a while, and to take some time to get back on course.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic