how much discharge is normal?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
shoelaces99
Primary language: english
Pronouns: I use all pronouns, but prefer he/him :)
Sexual identity: complicated as hell, arbosexual is the closest.

how much discharge is normal?

Unread post by shoelaces99 »

ive always had a lot of discharge, or at least what id consider alot. my underwear is usually damp and has globs of it on it, sorry for the detailed description, this might get yucky. it's white and slimy which im pretty sure is normal but recently its gotten worse and theres some other liquid mixed in? its not piss, im pretty sure, so I thought mabye its that arousal fluid people talk about? but its not at all connected to whenever im aroused. like just now I was folding clothes and I thought "shit, is my period early?" and I checked and it was just a ludicrous amount of discharge to the point of it having soaked through my underwear in the seconds before I checked. its getting really difficult to manage, is this normal? do I need to get medical attention?
Willa
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Re: how much discharge is normal?

Unread post by Willa »

Hi Shoelaces99,

Discharge can often change throughout your menstrual cycle, for example around ovulation the discharge can become more thin and clear while later in your cycle it is normal for the discharge to thicken or change in color to more white or yellow. One source I can give you to give some more context and explanations is: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodi ... secretions

Now during arousal it is also normal for there to be an increase in a thinner and clearer discharge, which is the vagina providing its own lubrication. However, if it is not during times of active arousal and this is a noticeable change as of recent in consistency, color, or change that is out of normal for your cycle and continues for several days- then this is something to keep an eye out for and possibly check in with a medical care provider.
StephR
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm great at solving riddles!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by StephR »

Hi Shoelaces,

In addition to what Willa said, I'd like to add that you can wear a pantiliner to absorb the discharge. Some people do this every day because it feels more comfortable for them. You also want to wear breathable cotton underwear and change it if it gets soaked. Wearing wet underwear (or a bathing suit, etc.) can put you at risk for a yeast infection.
shoelaces99
Primary language: english
Pronouns: I use all pronouns, but prefer he/him :)
Sexual identity: complicated as hell, arbosexual is the closest.

Unread post by shoelaces99 »

thank you to everyone who helped, I think im gonna get it checked out once I go to a gyno appointment but its good to know. thank you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic