How often should you test?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

How often should you test?

Unread post by 55 »

Hello,
Looking for some advice please. I use the Depo Provera injection as my sole method of contraception (long term partner). I don’t get periods. So I’m wondering how often is reasonable to take a pregnancy test? I have anxiety so not sure what’s too much . Thanks
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How often should you test?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi 55,

So, given how effective the contraceptive shot is, a pregnancy test isn't going to be necessary unless you have a legitimate reason to think the shot is less effective than it otherwise would be. Too, given your history of pregnancy anxiety, using an external or internal condom along with the shot would be an excellent way to add some peace of mind to the equation.

All that being said, if being on a method that has stopped your period is only adding to your anxiety rather than decreasing it, that might be an indicator that you might want to look into a different method to see if it better fits your needs.
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Unread post by 55 »

Interesting. I just figured doing a test was sensible considering no birth control method is 100%.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I mean, ultimately it's up to you when and how often you test, since you know what things will give you peace of mind and what things won't.

But it can also help to remember that when we're talking about birth control effectiveness, that effectiveness is figured over the course of a year, meaning that it any given instance it's 100% effective. And with a method like the shot, where there's a very low chance of user error (and that error is almost always not getting the shot on time, something you'd be aware of when it happens), you're in a much safer place in terms of assuming that you have full protection from it every time you have sex.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic