Bad experience on sexual abuse helpline

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Whispermae
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm great at making people comfortable!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Bad experience on sexual abuse helpline

Unread post by Whispermae »

For the first time I tried talking to someone on a sexual abuse helpline. It was because a very recent (nonsexual but physically violent) assault triggered all sorts of stuff around my past experiences. While the majority of my abuse was not sexual, I have had experienced of sexual abuse, as I've discussed in previous posts.

I received such lovely replies here awhile ago about how I could certainly access a sexual abuse helpline to talk things through. Unfortunately, the lady on the line did not feel the same way. After I explained my situation she said she could not help me because my recent assault was not sexual. She was very annoyed and unsympathetic and I feel a hundred times worse.

I never want to call anyone for help again. I may not have sounded it (because I am good at being calm) but I was absolutely desperate for someone to listen.
Willa
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Re: Bad experience on sexual abuse helpline

Unread post by Willa »

Hi Whispermae,

I am so sorry that happened to you! Assault and sexual assault are incredibly nuanced, and it does not seem the operator handled it sensitively at all. Can I ask if this was a source recommended here or one you found on your own? You were not in the wrong at all to search for care for yourself, and I commend you and your bravery in being vulnerable about your experiences.

Would you like to discuss or expand on your feelings surrounding the recent assault? Another option for you could be to find a day chat is scheduled to discuss this more with a volunteer one-on-one through our chat feature.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic