how to be more open minded

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
naurmi008
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

how to be more open minded

Unread post by naurmi008 »

hi! i've been schooled in a very religious and anti-LGBTQ+ school
i've found myself lately experiencing forms of internalized anti-LGBTQ+ thoughts (sorry, i'm not sure how to explain it)
i know this is wrong and i don't want to feel like this bc it's making me feel like a bad person, how can i be more open minded and less hateful? help me please!
Willa
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Re: how to be more open minded

Unread post by Willa »

Hi Naurmi008,

It can be very difficult to come to terms with the ways negative messaging has affected us so I commend you for taking the steps to work through that. The use of the word "internalized" here would mean that you are queer in some way and are applying homophobic biases to yourself- is that accurate to your situation? Or are you saying you are just noticing homophobic biases in yourself in general? The context for this will help me better aid you in your question.

One source that can be helpful in either situation is: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/gend ... r_everyone.
This source provides more of an introduction to accurate education on sexuality and orientation that may be helpful to you.
naurmi008
not a newbie

Unread post by naurmi008 »

hi! i do think i'm queer and sometimes i feel disgusted w myself for that, i've also been noticing some homophobic biases towards other queer people
Ellie
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a fat liberationist! 💪
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: Queer, aspec, kinky

Unread post by Ellie »

Hi Naurmi008,

I think it's great that you're in a place where you want to start healing that internalized shame. Did the article Willa shared offer anything beneficial for you? Also, I've found that making connections with other queer people who can relate can be a huge relief. Do you have any friends (online or otherwise) who you can talk to about this? Actually meeting queer people and realizing that we're all diverse humans is a great way to get past biases and become more open minded.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic