what are ovulation cramps??

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
naurmi008
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

what are ovulation cramps??

Unread post by naurmi008 »

so lately whenever i think i'm ovulating (2ish weeks before my next period) i keep getting these cramps
google says it's ovulation cramps but i'm super confused as to what those are and why it even happens in the first place 😵‍💫😵‍💫
should this be a cause for concern??
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: what are ovulation cramps??

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi naurmi008,

If it is indeed ovulation cramps, then those are not cause for concern. Plenty of people who menstruate have them, and they're not a sign of anything being wrong. These cramps have a few possible explanations; just before the ovulation, the growth of the follicle where the egg develops may stretch the surface of the ovary. This can cause pain. At the time of ovulation, fluid or blood is released from the ruptured egg follicle, which can irritate the lining of the abdomen and cause pain that way.

If you're wanting to track your cycle, including things like ovulation or ovulation cramps, this article is a great tool for doing that effectively, since counting days isn't a super-accurate way to know where you are in your cycle: Get With the Flow: All About FAM
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic