Body thinks I'm under attack?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
novelstag
Pronouns: she/they

Body thinks I'm under attack?

Unread post by novelstag »

Admittedly, I've never masturbated before. It's something that I think about doing and then get distracted or forget about it entirely. But lately, along with some physical health issues that remain a mystery, I'm wondering if part of the reason I've never explored my own arousal is because my body mistakes those signals as signs of an impending panic attack. I'm easily prone to them so anytime my heart races and I start sweating/get the cold trickle, I immediately think that's what's happening--but I know those same feelings also accompany pleasure. Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this? Any advice on how to try and calm myself down?

(For background: I have anxiety/panic disorder, depression, identify as cis female, and have possible dysautonomia issues)
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Body thinks I'm under attack?

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Novelstag, welcome to the boards!

Ah, when you have to consider panic attacks, depression, and possible dysautonomia, I can see why it would be difficult to identify your own arousal. I don't have personal experience with his, but panic attacks that come with arousal or during sex are not unheard of. Since you have experience with panic attacks, I want to ask about what you've tried already as a starting point. Do you have any strategies for dealing with attacks, and have you used them in this situation? If so, do your usual strategies help?

I have another question for you. The desire to have sex with a partner or masturbate can sometimes come before any signs of physiological arousal, like an increased heart rate or sweating. Have you noticed such desire?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic