Unusual period after EC

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hedera
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Unusual period after EC

Unread post by hedera »

Hello!

Recently, my partner and I had sex, and as we checked the condom afterwards it seemed a little different than usual, so we decided that I take emergency contraception a few hours later. However, my period tracker app said that it was my ovulation day; I don't know how accurate it is.

My period was due about 7 days later. At first, it was about 2 days late, but I'd already started cramping a little on the day it was originally due with some light spotting. Then when it finally did arrive, I was leaving practically no blood on the pad, and the blood that did get on the pad was a kind of brownish colour. However, whenever I wiped, the blood was bright red as it usually is, and I was expelling lots of tissue and clots as usual, with my usual level of cramps (a lot of painful cramps).
This went on for about 4 days. Then, from day 5 until day 7, my flow seemed to become heavier (it looked more like a typical day 2/day 3 flow, by days 5-7 I would usually just spot). On the last day, I left almost no blood.

I know that emergency contraception can mess with your period, but I just wanted to check whether this sounded normal or expected? It was a pretty weird flow considering everything. At one point in the beginning, I was scared it was implantation bleeding – does this sound possible?
I'll probably be doing a pregnancy test in a few days, but it would be helpful for me to hear another opinion until then so I can stop worrying so much. I'll be happy to provide more details if needed.
Nadine E.
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Unusual period after EC

Unread post by Nadine E. »

Hey hedera,

Like you mentioned, emergency contraception (EC) can impact menstrual periods, making them lighter, heavier or more painful. So everything you shared sounds like it is likely all to be expected from the EC. If you’re still feeling worried about it, doing a pregnancy test can help to be sure and put you at ease.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Unusual period after EC

Unread post by Heather »

I also want to add that having a period due 7 days after apparent ovulation tells you that your tracker isn't giving you accurate information, because that would be much too soon for a period to come after ovulating.

None of those trackers can give very accurate ovulation information, just so you know. In order to accurately predict that, they would have to be asking for things like how your cervical mucus is daily and your basal temperatures and then be able to use that information in ways machines just can't to analyze and made predictions. I always suggest people using period trackers just turn off anything to do with ovulation because it is so useless and only seems to stress everyone out.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic