Urethra

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Bromine
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m very smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Anything
Sexual identity: Bi

Urethra

Unread post by Bromine »

I know what I may ask might be medical professionaly but I’m not really sure if it is and I just need help knowing something, are urethras supposed to look flat on the outside? What are they supposed to look like. I have no reference for a normal and I feel like diagrams don’t help because they’re drawn. Also I’m 14 female and I would try to ask to go to a gyno but I’m yet to find the will/valid reason to ask. So if someone could just shed a bit of light, I could determine if I need to see one or not. If this falls under “asking for medical advice” I’m sorry
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Urethra

Unread post by Heather »

Hi there, Bromine, welcome to the boards. :)

It's actually really hard to even see the urethral opening, it's so small. (The urethra is a tube inside the body: we can't see it from the outside at all.) I do think that describing it as usually flat is accurate.

There's an image here made for medical reference that shows the vulva -- including the urethral opening -- both in illustrated diagram and a photo. I would say that this is a good general depiction of what it looks like in people. You'll struggle to even really see it, because it is just the tiniest of openings. https://bio.libretexts.org/Courses/West ... xternal%29

Just for the record, you can make appointments with many OB/GYNs that are educational appointments: where the intended purpose is to do things like this, to answer your questions about your own body. That's just as valid a reason to go as having an infection or looking into contraception.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic