i enjoy pain?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
rwxn
Pronouns: she/her

i enjoy pain?

Unread post by rwxn »

hi uh recently ive been enjoying pain fear and sadness. like i dont wanna be happy, i want to be even more depressed. its like i find comfort in it, it makes me feel good?? i think its probably my body & mind trying to cope with all the physical and mental pain ive been getting recently, so it makes me enjoy it? i dont know. i dont wanna stop experiencing pain or depression i actually want it even to be worse. i also dont want to explain why ive been getting pain. idek why im writing this when i dont even want my pain to stop. i just want to tell it someone i guess?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: i enjoy pain?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi rwxn,

So, from your description, this situation is probably going to be best addressed by a therapist. While I don't believe that pain, or even sadness or fear, are bad things to experience or to enjoy in certain contexts, or that people have to only be happy all the time, the fact that this seems to be a response to bigger things in your life suggests both it, and those things, need to be addressed for your long-term wellbeing.

Do you know how to find mental health resources? If not, that's something we could help you get started on.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: i enjoy pain?

Unread post by Heather »

I do want to just poke in and ask if what you mean in this post is simply that it feels good to let yourself fully feel and have feelings of pain, sadness or depression. We can often get the message in the world that if and when we are having those feelings, we need to work to get rid of them, to feel differently, rather than just letting ourselves feel them.

But even when feelings we are having are difficult or aren't happy, it can often feel good to let ourselves explore and feel them, and we may even feel like it benefits us to follow them as far as they go. We have to be careful when we do that with dark feelings, for probably obvious reasons, but wanting to feel them, and feeling good about letting ourselves, isn't automatically a problem or a bad thing, like sam mentioned.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic