My periods has been different this month

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Ihaveanxiety
Awesomeness Quotient: My empathy:)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

My periods has been different this month

Unread post by Ihaveanxiety »

Hi I’ve been reading around and I still have some questions.
Some context:
Hi I am a minor, and I am I sexually active and on birth control,but strictly oral sex ( unprotected but we make sure that no semen touches me we do each other separately and I relative myself after my boyfriend has given me oral, mainly only fingers. And we wash our hands). Before my period had really started my boyfriend had performed oral on my (fingers only and we did each other separately) and then my period started and it was much longer than it had been for a while and heavy. My initial period was 6days, but after ward I believe I spotted I was still whipping up what I assumed brown discharge or my lining, and also just pink blood. I have not gone to a doctor about it because I assume it’s a side affect of the pill but I’m just concerned about it and concerned if I may be pregnant but I highly doubt it. I just tend to get I. My head a little if things are off.
It would ease my mind a little if you can tell me the basis of what may be happening and also about what I can vaguely expect with the pill as well. :D
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: My periods has been different this month

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Ihaveanxiety,

While we can't say for certain what caused this, you're right that it could be your birth control pill, especially if you started it recently and your body is adjusting to it. Too, brown discharge is common after your period (or withdrawal bleed, which is what you get when you're on the pill), so that's likely why you noticed that. If you want to learn more about what to expect on the pill, this is a great starting place: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

I do want to add that if you two want to be as safe as possible, using condoms and dental dams would be a sound idea. Not for pregnancy prevention reasons, but because oral sex still carries a risk of STIs, and using barrier methods is an easy way to reduce that risk. If you need help finding those supplies, that's certainly something we can talk about.
Ihaveanxiety
Awesomeness Quotient: My empathy:)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ihaveanxiety »

Thank you for your reply it’s helped me know what is the average “norm”. And yes I have started a different prescription of birth control since June I believe so I believe my body’s still getting used to the prescription.
And thank you for the suggestions on my other topic.
Thank you again!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're very welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic