Dealing with internalized shame

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Berkeley2003
not a newbie
Pronouns: They/them

Dealing with internalized shame

Unread post by Berkeley2003 »

Hi there,

I've posted in the past about sorting out my gender identity and I would still say I'm on that journey. Though I've made some good small steps (e.g., sharing my situation with loved ones and housemates), I still feel really uncomfortable and admittedly a little ashamed of myself. I think it's internalized shame around my queerness.

I'm still struggling to make peace with myself, especially with limited close support network as a person in a relatively new area. I just don't know what to do.
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Dealing with internalized shame

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there Berkley2003

Those are good steps (be proud of yourself for the progress that you're making!). You're right that this is a journey- with time, the steps that you are taking will add up, and you will feel more comfortable and less ashamed.

What are some things you can do? If you would like, maybe you could try to pinpoint the source of this internalized shame and try to address it directly. Also, if you haven't already, you could look into local queer events and gatherings- being around other queer people may help you feel more comfortable and build a better support network.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic