trouble masturbating

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
el298
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

trouble masturbating

Unread post by el298 »

I'm 18 and I never masturbated because I was scared and didn't actually want to. it's from (almost) last year that I started wanting to, but im still scared and I don't know what makes me aroused nor how to have an orgasm/how does it feel.
I tried two times: the 1st one I tried rubbing up and down, I don't know how to describe the feeling I got, it wasn't nor bad nor good (and i felt my vulva like vibrating?), I also tried putting my finger in but only a half got in and I was scared of getting hurt.
the 2nd time I tried the same thing and got the same feeling but I got anxious/scared quickly so I stopped; also only my fingertip got in.
Idkk I just want to know how to feel good
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: trouble masturbating

Unread post by Heather »

Hi there.

So, the way to learn what feels good for us is with a lot of practice. Only having masturbated two times is often a lot like only having practiced playing the piano two times: you're brand, brand new to it, are at the very beginning of finding anything out, you are only now just starting to learn things, and you would never expect to be able to play piano, even something super basic, with just two times playing. Get what I mean?

The inside of the vagina, if it helps to know, can literally handle an infant's head coming through it, and often without tearing. It's a remarkably resilient organ. For sure, because it's skin a lot like the tissue on the inside of your mouth, and because it's a place inside your body, you don't want to be exploring the vagina with anything sharp (like sharp nails), or with anything that isn't clean. But besides that, so long as something doesn't hurt to do, you can usually assume it isn't harmful to be doing it. However, just like learning what feels good, it can also take a while to learn to feel comfortable, too, and it's okay for that to take as long as it takes, as well.

Does that all make sense to you?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
el298
not a newbie

Unread post by el298 »

hii,
yes it makes sense, thank you for replying :)
I think I'm scared of putting my finger in my vagina bc I never did it and bc of my nails. I don't keep my nails nor long nor sharp but im still a bit scared🥲
Amanda B
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm an excellent cook!
Sexual identity: still figuring it out

Unread post by Amanda B »

Hi el298,

I love our article, How Do You Masturbate? It goes over all the ways someone may decide to masturbate, so you may find something there you haven't tried before. Many people with vaginas are unable to experience pleasure by internal stimulation alone, therefore I'd recommend focusing on the outside of your vagina, your vulva and clitoris, before venturing in. After all, this is what feels best for many people anyway! Does this sound like an approachable option?
el298
not a newbie

Unread post by el298 »

hii,
thank you for the article, it was very useful
yes it sounds approachable , thank you again for replying :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic