Depo timing

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Depo timing

Unread post by 55 »

Hey, am I right in thinking that as long as I get my repeat depo injection up to 12 weeks after my last one, then I’m protected straight away?

When I had my first depo, I was told I needed to wait or use condoms for the first 7 days as that’s how long it takes to get in your system. So I don’t really understand why you don’t have to wait 7 days after your repeat injections, if that’s how long it takes to start working? Hope that makes sense! Thanks
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Depo timing

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, 55

Yes, that's right- so long as your shot is scheduled properly, you won't need a backup birth control method.
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thanks! Could you please explain why that is? Does the new injection not take 7 days to get in your system, like the first one did?

So if you hit the 12th week your old one will stop and then the new one won’t have kicked in yet. Thanks
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi 55,

It may help to think of it like this: when you first start a hormonal birth control method, it takes some time for the method to have the desired effect(s) on your body. Once the effects are in place, as long as you take the method according to the appropriate schedule, the effects stay in place. So it's not about the shot itself; it's about whether the shot is happening to a body where the effects of the medication are already in place or not.
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thank you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic