Can a homecoming date be a one time thing?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Pebblefeathers
Pronouns: Any

Can a homecoming date be a one time thing?

Unread post by Pebblefeathers »

I’m going to be attending my first homecoming dance in a week. I found out that one of my friends who is in the year above me likes me and wants to ask me to the dance. I don’t like her the same way but I really want to go with someone at least as friends. Honestly I’d like to actually have a date date at homecoming but is it normal to just have a date to homecoming and not actually have a crush on the person or want to date them after? I just want to have a date for fun but I don’t know if that’s something people do. Also if she asks me with a sign and I say yes, I don’t know if she’ll know if I like her or not. She might think that I like her, and then after homecoming I won’t want to date her. Or maybe I’ll catch feelings. I don’t know! Thank you
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Can a homecoming date be a one time thing?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Pebblefeathers,

Homecoming dates, or any date to high school dance, can for sure be a one time thing! In fact, I can think of several people I know personally who went to homecoming with a date who was a friend, and stayed a friend after they went.

Now, all that being said, if you think or know this friend has a crush on you, and is hoping this leads to relationship, then I do think the two of you may want to talk to make sure you're on the same page about the date being a one-time thing. That may be an awkward conversation, but it's a kind thing to do for both of you so that she's not getting her hopes up and you're not feeling cornered into a relationship you're not really interested in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic