More anxiety/mood swings during ovulation week?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

More anxiety/mood swings during ovulation week?

Unread post by sparklingstar »

So I've been feeling more tired and more anxiety recently, then I checked my period tracker app, and it shows that I'm on ovulation week right now.

Is it normal for me to feel more tired and anxious than usual during these times? I think I used to experience similar feelings, but this month has been more stressful and I just wanna make sure that this is normal. Since most people say that you're supposed to feeling amazing during ovulation week.
sparklingstar
not a newbie

Re: More anxiety/mood swings during ovulation week?

oh and another thing worthy of note is that my period for this month ended about 2 weeks ago, so like around September, 5th. so maybe my mood changing has something to do with that as well?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi sparklingstar,

Some people can and do experience mood swings around the time of ovulation because of the hormonal fluctuation involved. But how we emotionally and psychologically experience ovulation, or any phase in our menstrual cycle varies not only from person to person but for a given person from day to day. So that may be why you hear people describing ovulation in a way that's different from your own experiences.

Too, I find it helps to remember that our menstrual cycle is just one of many things that can contribute to our mood on a given day, which is why people saying "during ovulation you feel X" or "during your period you feel Y" doesn't always reflect reality; it doesn't account for all the other things that could be influencing your mood.
sparklingstar
not a newbie

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the clear response! So does that mean I should just be patient with my emotions for now and try to not overthink about all this? All of these weird feelings should pass eventually right?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! And yes, I'd say being patient with yourself and with your emotions is the way to go. Although, if you notice the anxiety is linked to a particular thing, or like it's staying with you no matter what else is going on in your life, that might signal that there's something else that needs addressing, whether it's a specific source of anxiety in your life that you could tackle or an underlying anxiety issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic