Do I need to change Condom when I leak semen?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
brbr
Pronouns: he/him

Do I need to change Condom when I leak semen?

Unread post by brbr »

do I need to change condoms if I cum/ejaculate a little bit from from edging/trying to prolong climax. this isnt a full orgasm as I am still hard and able to maintain an erection/ keep condom on but it is definitely semen and not precum. Can I keep this condom on or should I change condoms still? I was thinking it is ok since even if there is semen in there it is contained, but I read you should change anytime you ejaculate but I hear this more for if you fully ejaculate as the penis gets soft and could cause slippage. I think the only risk of not changing is if condom breaks and that little ejaculate releases?
Amanda B
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm an excellent cook!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: still figuring it out

Re: Do I need to change Condom when I leak semen?

Unread post by Amanda B »

Hi brbr,

I'd still recommend changing the condom if any semen becomes present, even if you're still hard. Semen being present in the condom creates the risk for semen to leak out during the sex act. Also, you're absolutely right there's the added risk if the condom ends up breaking. If you're concerned about using too many condoms, free condoms are often available at clinics and even online. I'd recommend checking out a Planned Parenthood if there's one near you, or doing some research on where to obtain free condoms in your state. Hope this helps!
brbr

Unread post by brbr »

Hi I was thinking this as well.Just have to be careful not to leak any of it out while changing condoms, Although i heard even if it gets on your hands and you touch the new condom that doesn’t pose risk since its indirect transfer? Although I hear this more with precum not actual semen. Do you have any thoughts about that?
Amanda B
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm an excellent cook!
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: still figuring it out

Unread post by Amanda B »

To avoid leakage when changing condoms, hold the base of the condom when withdrawing to make sure everything stays in place. Bodily fluid on the new condom can still pose some risk. If you accidentally touch the semen when removing the condom, wash your hands before placing a new condom on.

I'll also just add this handy refresher on all things condoms. Feel free to check it out if you think it will be helpful! Condom Basics: A User's Manual
brbr

Unread post by brbr »

Hi Amanda Thank you for your replies they mean a lot in trying to be as safe as I can. So you say it poses some risk but this post says different. could you explain? I would probably wash my hands as precaution anyways since it doesn’t hurt. but I am kind of confused now.

viewtopic.php?t=11011
Last edited by brbr on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi brbr,

That other post I answered was referring specifically to pregnancy risk. Since you're asking about risk more generally, there can be STI risks from semen that ends up on the outside of a condom.

Too, are you referring to a specific situation that's already happened that you're worried about? Or just a hypothetical?
brbr

Unread post by brbr »

Hi Sam,

I was just confused but thanks for clarifying everything now!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic