Finding a birth control method compatible with disability and topical estradiol

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Riverrstyx66
Awesomeness Quotient: Passionate about organic chemistry
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Queer

Finding a birth control method compatible with disability and topical estradiol

Unread post by Riverrstyx66 »

Hi!
I’m new here, so… sorry if I do this wrong? I guess?
I just need some help brainstorming how to avoid pregnancy in a way that’s compatible with my other medical needs. I’m on a (nonnegotiable) medication for my disability which decreases the effectiveness of progesterone only birth control, and I can’t use combined birth control pills. I have a Nexplanon implant which works well enough to stop my periods, which should mean I’m not ovulating, but I’m very cautious about pregnancy. I used to use condoms as a backup, but I just started topical vaginal estradiol cream for Nexplanon-related atrophy, and I think it can corrode latex. I know polyurethane condoms exist, but I also know they’re not as effective. Any ideas for how I can safely have PIV sex with my partner? Bonus points for advice on safely receiving oral while I’m on the estradiol.
Thank you!
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Finding a birth control method compatible with disability and topical estradiol

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, Rivverrstyx66- welcome to the boards!

Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong. I'm not sure of the answer to your question, so I'll ask the next person on shift to take a look at this- sorry!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Finding a birth control method compatible with disability and topical estradiol

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Riverstyx (nice handle!),

You're right, latex condoms and topical estrogen aren't a good pair. Nonlatex outside (or "male") condoms are just as effective as latex, though. It's with inside ("female") condoms where we see an effectiveness differential, but even that difference is minimal. Your Nexplanon is about as fully effective as a method gets, so you really are protected very well from pregnancy, but for STI protection, and if you just feel better with a pregnancy backup, switching to nonlatex won't give you any less protection than latex condoms did.

In terms of safety with oral and the estriadol, nonlatex dental dams also are available. In case you were asking about safety for your partner without dams in terms of the estrogen, the current medical stance on that is that you just want to give a 24 hour window between the day or night you use the estrogen and any kind of unprotected sex with a partner.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic