OCD and Anxiety

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Naveahlima665
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My smile
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She her
Sexual identity: Straight

OCD and Anxiety

Unread post by Naveahlima665 »

Hi,

Lately I’ve been having a lot of OCD and Anxiety about my sexuality. I know what I am. I’m straight and always have been. But lately my brain is almost picking on me and making me get these intrusive thoughts that will come along and create scenarios where im lesbian. I’m certainly not. I find attraction in guys. It may be because I’m reading a book and really like a female character and my OCD just gives me these obsessive thoughts like What am I going to do? What should I do? I want to talk to my therapist I just feel embarrassed because I know it’s silly.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: OCD and Anxiety

Unread post by Heather »

Hi there.

Since what you're reporting sounds like it's much more about OCD and obsessive thinking than it is about sexual orientation, this is really outside our scope and abilities. The right person to talk with who could help the most would be a mental healthcare provider you're working with on anxiety and OCD.

It seems like you were comfortable enough to post this here, so I'd go ahead and take whatever made you able to feel that way into your therapist with this. By all means, it doesn't really matter what your orientation is in this context, and it's not like being lesbian, were that the case, would be anything we'd have to worry about you needing care for. On the other hand, treatment for obsessive thinking usually is important to seek out because it can really get in the way of your life and well-being. Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Naveahlima665
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My smile
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Naveahlima665 »

I’m sorry, I didn’t know it couldn’t be posted here. I’ve definently reached out to my doctor
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Oh, it was okay to post it here, it's just that providing direct help with mental illness and its symptoms isn't something that any of us are qualified to do in this medium. Even if we were, we'd be unlikely to be able to help you as well as your own therapist who you are you are working with, and who has your history and other information.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic