Very low cervix

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Max3_3
not a newbie
Primary language: English or italian
Pronouns: She / they

Very low cervix

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Hi, i made and account Just for asking this because i'm feeling very anxious about It (Sorry for my english in advance). I'm 16, and i recently discovered that my cervix Is very low, i can touch it just with one knuckle and even less. I searched for information and now i'm really worried about a prolapse
Is It normal or should i be concerned?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Very low cervix

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Max!

Your english is great, and I'm glad you're here!

I would recommend seeing a doctor, as they can do a physical examination and can give you more information on what it is you're feeling with your knuckle. It's possible that what you've felt isn't the cervix, or that there is something else going on, but we wouldn't be able to to tell you either way. A doctor, on the other hand, should be able to put your mind at ease, and if there is a problem, offer treatment and support.

How would you feel about making an appointment?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

My mom Is trying to get an appointment with the gynecologist but It will take time probably. I think it's the cervix because It feels different at the touch and it's like a small donut (?)
I stopped searching about It because it's making me only panic more about It, but i can't stop thinking that something Is really wrong
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Aw I'm so sorry this is happening to you, and that healthcare can be so slow, but I am glad your mom is helping you get that appointment.

I totally agree that you don't need to do any more searching. It is difficult to accept but sometimes if we're waiting on reliable information and expertise, it can be better to resist doing further research, especially if it's driven by stress. In a state of panic we are especially biased towards looking for the worst possible explanations. So, "I waited a while, then my doctor helped me and I was fine" usually isn't the kind of story a panicked brain latches onto, and so we keep searching and find scarier things to worry about.

I wouldsay keep paying attention to your own body, if there's any change, pain or sickness then this is something to tell your mom and maybe get some treatment sooner, but if things stay the same, and none of the information you're finding is helping you, I'd honestly recommend finding something to distract you.

Are there any books or shows that can help you pass the time? Or activities/hobbies that relax you when you're stressed?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

I usually draw, It keeps me calm, but this thing Is really stressing me out. I'm probably going to play some videogames or something to put my mind at ease.
I don't really feel any pain though, so this makes me a Little relieved
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Max: it might also help to know that at certain times in every fertility cycle, the cervix is also lower/closer to the vaginal opening, than at other times. It also usually pulls itself back when and if you're sexually aroused.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Thank you all for the kind replies! I'm gonna try to stay calm and wait for an appointment in the meantime :]
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Hi, i'm here again because my anxiety can't leave me alone.
So, i Was wrong actually, my cervix Is like 2 knuckle deep. It scares me because even when i'm aroused It doesn't really move, i don't know if it's because i'm anxious or something else but at this point i'm scared it's really a prolapse:(
I know i'm young and it's rare at this age but i can't help feeling anxious about It. I found out i have a sort of pain when i Press on the right of my pelvis (?) but it's not really serious.
Here in Italy it's not simple to get an appointment at the gynecologist so i don't really know when i Will be able to go. I appreciate the response in advance, i'm Sorry for my english if it's not really clear what i write!
Michaela
Awesomeness Quotient: I have yet to find a craft that I do not love
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Michaela »

Hi Max3_3,

Everything you wrote was very clear and understandable. I am not well educated on the healthcare system in Italy but potentially providing all the details you have given to us as well as the immense anxiety you are feeling over it could help to find a sooner appointment. Are there telemedicine options there for you? Although this is the type of thing that would require a physical exam, having the chance to speak with a physician and express your concerns might help to lessen your anxiety until you are able to get that in-person appointment.

Would you mind explaining a little bit more about what you mean by slight pain when you press your pelvis? Do you mean the pelvic bone or an area of the abdomen?

While you are awaiting that appointment I can provide some facts that could lessen your worry. The vaginal canal typically ranges from 3.8 - 9.4 cm. If approximating that two knuckles is about 4-5 cm that would be within the average range.

In terms of remaining calm, you mentioned playing video games has helped to calm yourself. Are there other things that have worked to keep your mind occupied?
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

the pain Is near the the pelvic bone and to the right, and It hurts quite a bit if i Press on It.
I don't really know how to explain It because my english is not really great, Sorry
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Hey, Max.

I do think it’s likely this is something you’re overthinking, and that probably everything is absolutely fine with your body. I think trying to evaluate your cervical position for yourself is a bit of a losing strategy, too, because you’re just not going to have the education or the vantage point a healthcare provider would.

However, most general doctors can also do basic GYN evaluations and it is very clear your worries about this are rough on you. Can you make an appointment or go to a walk-in clinic to see someone about this? It seems to me that basic reassurance, and check-in, would go a long way for your mental health, and, if anything does seem like a potential issue to that doctor, they could also refer you for further care.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Yeah, it's probably my overthinking (i have an anxiety disorder, so i tend to do that a lot), but i Will go to the doctor to make sure everything Is fine. Thank you for the help!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Glad to be of service. :)
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Hi, Just wanted to Say that i'm back from the gynecologist
She found out i have a cyst, and i'll probably have to remove it.
I'm really scared actually, i don't like hospital and i'm scared that It could end up being cancer
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Max3_3,

I'm glad you were able to get to the gynecologist and get your answer, even if it turned out to be something that will require more medical attention. I hear you on hospitals being scary, but it might help to remind yourself that dealing with that scary situation is the step you need to take in order to take care of your health.

Just so you know, in the majority of cases, cysts tend to be just cysts, rather than cancer. Are you able to get the appointment to have it removed soon so you don't have to spend a long time worrying about the whole thing?
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

They said that it's not urgent, so i probably have to wait at least till september, but i can't help feel scared
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Oof, it can be so frustrating having to wait for something like that, and when you're anxious that can make it even harder to deal with. Do you think having more information about how the procedure will go will help you feel calmer? Or do you think doing what you can to put it out of your mind for now might be the way to go?
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Some information would be good! I'm Just really scared of cancer, and my anxiety won't leave me alone
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay, let's see if we can find you some information that might help this feel more like a manageable thing and less like this big, scary appointment hanging over your head. Is it an ovarian cyst, or is it somewhere else?
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Yes, It's an ovarian cyst, It should be 7cm (i only know in cm, Sorry)
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it! And no worries, it's easy for me to do a quick conversion from centimeters to inches.

I think this is a really good overview of both how the procedure tends to go, but what the recovery looks like: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/t ... cystectomy. Too, that gives you some language to help you understand things your healthcare provider might tell you about this, or to ask questions about all this if you need to.
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Thank you very much for the information! Everyone in my family Is trying to calm me down by saying that it's not cancer, even because the cyst has been there for a long time by now probably, my gynecologist said that it's the cause of my period not being regular. I have my finger crossed for the best
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

I do too! If you can, I'd plan on having some anxiety soothing things ready to go for the day before the appointment, just so you're not totally miserable with stress before going in.

Too, it may help to know that ovarian cancer is incredibly uncommon in teenagers. We're talking tiny, tiny percentages. So all signs point to this being a standard cyst that'll be gone once the surgery is done.
Max3_3
not a newbie

Unread post by Max3_3 »

Thank you very much for the help
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic