Can I get pregnant post-vasectomy?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Decretum_01
Pronouns: She/Her

Can I get pregnant post-vasectomy?

Unread post by Decretum_01 »

I'll cut to the chase:

We don't want kids. Fiancé got a vasectomy (he said it they did a "permanent" vasectomy and I have no reason to believe otherwise) last October. I can confirm this because I drove him to & from the appointment

He has been my only partner. We were together for several years before he got the vasectomy.
I will admit, I'm still skittish about him finishing in me, even post-vasectomy, because I know that no method of birth control is 100% foolproof. He has never finished in me, pre- or post-vasectomy.

If you're still reading, here's my situation: When I was mid-cycle in May, he pulled out & finished near my pubes. I made sure to get all the semen with a washcloth, but I took a shower about 10 minutes after cleaning up.

I haven't had a period since the first week of May. Full disclosure, I haven't felt at all unusual or different since May & I have been under A LOT of stress even before I was due & there have been significant May/June stressors that might cause delays.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Can I get pregnant post-vasectomy?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Decretum_01,

You're right that no method of birth control is 100% foolproof, but vasectomies are one of the most effective options out there. Too, given that you're under a lot of stress, that or another underlying cause is far, far more likely to be at play here than a failed vasectomy. You can read about other potential underlying causes here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?.

Have you been able to take a pregnancy test? Sometimes, people find that having that result staring them in the face helps them shake the remaining anxiety that a highly effective method somehow failed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic