Questions about what's normal

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Starsnsloths
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her; he/him; they/them
Sexual identity: Questioning

Questions about what's normal

Unread post by Starsnsloths »

This has been bothering me, maybe really bothering me Idk, but can you stimulate someones genitals by your energy even if you don't look sexual, can that be abuse? Also is sex addiction real? Because I have a religious mother who believes that each person can feel each others energies and can hurt someone with that energy. And that's really scary for me and I'd rather know upfront if that's true or not, when I'm not doing anything illegal. Ok! Thanks!
Michaela
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I have yet to find a craft that I do not love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Questions about what's normal

Unread post by Michaela »

Hi Starsnsloths,
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by just your energy. If you could explain that a little more it may help. If you mean just being around someone but there is no touching, communication happening, or other sexual acts then that would not be abuse. The definition of abuse is "Purposeful harm or mistreatment of another person, which can be verbal, emotional, physical or sexual." It's important to also note the word purposeful, so the intent behind what is happening is important as well. Does that help?

In terms of "sex addiction," is there something about your own sexual desire that is concerning to you? Sex addiction is a phrase thrown around in the media, however, it is not a term that experts in the field tend to use because it does not accurately describe anything that may be going on. For example, sex cannot fit the clinical definition of addiction which is usually about external substances. There is a lot to unpack in the term "sex addiction" and we have a great advice column where you can read more about it: Are we addicted to sex? After you read it through, is there anything that you have more specific questions about?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic