Moving on after Hospitalization

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
spottedowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love learning about ecology.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual and Cisgender

Moving on after Hospitalization

Unread post by spottedowl »

So…turns out the hot guy amnesia I was talking about? This came at a time when school was stressful etc. End of story I behaved in a way which worried the people around me and landed me in the hospital very confused and threatening to self harm. I didn’t do anything but that’s not a good thing to do. Wondering if the folks here have any additional advice on moving on with dating and relationships after the experience? The medicine I’m on makes sexual fantasy hard to experience fully and mastrubation next to impossible. I’m glad I’m on the medicine as life got very scary before it. But recovery sure makes it strange to find pleasure in the everyday. I keep telling myself it gets better-sure is taking awhile, but life is okay. :?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Moving on after Hospitalization

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi SpottedOwl,

Hospitalization can be so stressful, so while I'm glad you're getting some needed supports now, I can see how it might have you feeling out of sorts.

Have you been on the current medication long? If you're noticing it's really influencing your sexuality as well as your overall ability to experience pleasure, that's something to bring up with the healthcare provider who prescribed it. Depending on your diagnosis, there may be other medication options to explore that might not have such noticeable side effects on pleasure and fantasy. It may also be worth discussing if some of what you're experiencing is tied to your diagnosis; for example, some mood disorders can influence sexual desire or our experience of pleasure.

Too, you might get some use out of this article: How to Approach Sexual Fantasy and Desire on Your Own Terms. I like that one because it gives you permission to step all the way back to the beginning when learning about your own fantasies and pleasure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic