Thanks for being you!

Site or organizational updates, like new content, tools or services, activist alerts, news or other Scarleteen-related information.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Thanks for being you!

Unread post by Heather »

I just wanted to make sure those of you in our message board community saw this, shared on our social media today:
A lot of people are looking for gifts around this time of year. We just wanted to remind you that as far as we’re concerned, all of you young people in the world are one of the best gifts, to the whole world, that there is. Thanks so much for being who you are, the way that you are, and sharing it with all of us. You’re priceless, and we just couldn’t be more grateful for you.
I want to personally add, from the perspective of an older adult, that I know that putting trust in older adults when you're younger is a precarious business. I'm at around 25 years now of working with children and young people, and that work, and the relationships that are part of it, are a huge part of my life. The trust some of you have given me -- whether that's sharing something hard and personal, working through conflict, giving your input and feedback, or just plain being around -- means the world to me, and I know the great value it has. Every year, all of you make my life so much richer than it would be without you as some part of it, and I am deeply benefitted by the way you share who you are in such a real way with me. I often feel like other adults who don't have so many young people in their lives, like I do, are really, really missing out.

I don't do the holidays, but for those of you who do, I hope they have been and are wonderful. I hope the rest of them and the coming year are filled with people who appreciate you (just as you are, not just for who you may later become), and what you bring to the world, and know what great gifts all of you bring and all of you are.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead