Questions for Crises: The Audre Lorde Questionnaire

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Questions for Crises: The Audre Lorde Questionnaire

Unread post by KierC »

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on how to cope with the pain I experience in my body as a result of experiencing patriarchal trauma, and in doing so I’m always led, almost cosmically, to the words of Audre Lorde. Specifically, Audre Lorde delivered a really powerful speech called “The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action,” which contains what is colloquially referred to as The Audre Lorde Questionnaire, or The Questionnaire to One’s Self. This set of questions really helps guide me towards figuring out “What does healing look like for me? What do I need?”, and I wanted to share the questionnaire here in the hopes that it might help someone else structure their healing journey too!

Here’s the questionnaire as it appears in “The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action” (from page 41):

“What are the words you do not yet have?

“What do you need to say?

What are the tyrannies you swallow day-by-day and attempt to make your own?”

https://electricliterature.com/wp-cont ... action.pdf

I’d also like to add another question from her automythography Zami:

“To whom do I owe the symbols of my survival?” (Or, what ARE the symbols of your survival?)

These questions can be taken in many different ways, they don’t have to be taken literally! At least for me, I think some of the healing comes in just asking the question to one’s self. Thinking about what my symbols of survival are actually led me to give hugs to my community (and my cat lol) because I realized how much they help me thrive.

What do these questions mean to you? Are there any questions you’d add here?