I know there's variation but...?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
pthalo
Awesomeness Quotient: that all of the little bits form a whole
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer?

I know there's variation but...?

Unread post by pthalo »

I've seen lots of posts stating that vaginas all look different, and that all of those different shapes and sizes are okay. And I believe that, for other people at least.

The thing is though, they all seem to be symmetrical? And since I was first starting to hit puberty, my labia minora have been mismatched. One side is noticeably larger and darker, and even appears to have a slightly different texture; the other side is a sort of generic looking tiny pink flap. I've never seen any other pictures show that, and it's been a nagging worry for years that something might be wrong.

I'm not opposed to seeing a gynecologist, but I don't want to freak my parents out if it's just normal natural variation. So if anyone has input on whether this sounds like a red flag, or if it's within the limits of normalcy, please let me know.

(To clarify, this is more of a health concern than a cosmetic concern. I'd feel perfectly comfortable with it if I didn't worry that it was potentially unsafe.)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: I know there's variation but...?

Unread post by Heather »

I would say symmetrical labia minora are more the exception than the rule. I am not sure where you are getting your ideas about what vulvas look like, but given the way that part of the body develops, both in utero and after, having them be perfectly symmetrical would be very unusual. Outside that, having at least some asymmetry is to be expected, and how much varies a whole lot. Same goes for variations in color and texture.

Any physical discomfort at all? Any pain, or other troubles? If not, chances are awfully good there is nothing to be concerned about here. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
pthalo
Awesomeness Quotient: that all of the little bits form a whole
Sexual identity: queer?

Unread post by pthalo »

I guess so? The larger side feels less sensitive in general, and when there actually is any feeling, it's usually more itchy than anything else. But that's really reassuring to hear that it seems normal thus far!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Differences in sensitivity not only from one side to another, but also amidst each side is also normal.

By all means, if you have a vulva, GYN preventative care is something you can start doing anytime. It is good for you, after all. So, whenever you want to start, you also absolutely can check in with that provider with these questions. And if you think you would feel better doing so sooner rather than later, no need not to start that health care now, either on your own, or by telling a parent you would like to start.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
jerniquesmith1
Awesomeness Quotient: my lips and eyes
Pronouns: jade
Sexual identity: must come back

what's wrong with my labia minora

Unread post by jerniquesmith1 »

My labia minora is dark in 16 years old i have tiny tiny pimples it doesn'thurt or burn when i urine please help me I hope I don't have an std I'm scared. Is th normal. It is smooth. It the same color as my vagina
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, jerniquesmith1. Welcome to the boards. :)

If you are worried about an std the best thing to do is to check in with a healthcare provider in person. Is impossible for anyone to diagnose anything through a service like this. You are right that vulvas are all different so is hard to say what is more common or not. Maybe this link is something you want to read: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... aint_minor

And for next time, if you can make your own thread that would be better. That way we can keep the site better organized and make sure you get the space you need and deserve. :)
Bonthrop
not a newbie
Sexual identity: queer/poly

Unread post by Bonthrop »

I've never seen symmetrical labia, except in photoshop. We usually have one foot and (for those with breasts) one breast (etc.) slightly different to the other, too, so it makes sense.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic