Contraception

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
manfa121
not a newbie

Contraception

Unread post by manfa121 »

hi Scarleteen,

I've recently started the mini pill and there's been a bunch of bad side effects but the worst one is the bleeding that has occurred since taking it, it's been more or less like a light, 3 week period, I just wanted to know if this affected it's effectiveness at all if I'm bleeding?

Also, I had sex 2 days after starting the pill and the condom broke, there was no ejaculation however I've been taking the bleeding as a kinda period and dismissed the possible risk. Should I see my doctor/take a test just in case?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Contraception

Unread post by Heather »

How recently did you start?

As well, are you also current with your general sexual healthcare, including tests for infections?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
manfa121
not a newbie

I started on the 9th of Feb and had sex on the 11th.

And yes, both means my partner have been checked since the new year :)
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

When in your cycle did you start the pill? Did you start on the first day of a period?

It can take a few months for the body to get used to the pill, and if you have only been on it for a few weeks, some irregular bleeding is not too surprising. But if you are concerned about the bleeding, you can certainly check in with your doctor. However, irregular or breakthrough bleeding on the pill does not compromisem its protection.

However, since you had that condom failure only a couple of days after starting the pill, we can't say how protected you were at that point. Your partner did not ejaculate, so the risk is fairly low either way, but if you want to double-check you can take a pregnancy test in a few days (most tests recommend you wait until at least 14 days since the risk).
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
manfa121
not a newbie

I started the pill on the 3rd/4th day of my period.

Yeah that's true, I'm glad the bleeding is normal but I was unsure if it could've been implantation bleeding or pill failure. In a few weeks I think maybe a text would be good to settle my mind :)
manfa121
not a newbie

I don't mean to post again, but on top of the other symptoms, I've been experiencing light cramping along with spotting, is this typical when on the mini pill or could this be something else?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Cramping can certainly happen on the pill, especially as you're getting used to it. We can't know for sure why you're experiencing it, but it's very likely not a cause for concern.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic