implant effectiveness

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
19throwaway

implant effectiveness

Unread post by 19throwaway »

Hi everyone,

So I got the implant from PP on 1/30 at about 11 am, after 2.5 years of hesitating about sex with my boyfriend, I finally decided to take the leap.
Last friday night I had unprotected sex (no ejaculation) at around 11 pm (so about 12 hours after the use backup for 7 days guideline). This morning I had unprotected sex with ejaculation inside (now 9 days after insertion.)

In terms of ovulation/periods, I last had my period on 1/18, with planned ovulation right around.. now? but my period is pretty irregular.

I was just wondering if I have had a pregnancy risk. While I do trust the doctor that inserted the implant and material online, the 7 days guideline seems pretty arbitrary; and I'm paranoid that the implant may have been inserted improperly.

Thank you!

EDIT: clarification, by implant I mean implanon.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: implant effectiveness

Unread post by Karyn »

There is no method of birth control that completely eliminates the risk of pregnancy - there will always be a chance. However, the implant is highly effective at preventing pregnancy, so your risk is very, very small. (The 7 day rule is not arbitrary, btw, it's based on what we know about the menstrual cycle and how hormonal birth control changes that cycle. It isn't just a number grabbed out of thin air!)

However, if you're not comfortable using just one method of contraception, that's totally okay, and it never hurts to use a backup method. In terms of your worry about insertion, did you have a chance to feel the implant once it was in? The only way for insertion to really go wrong is if it isn't inserted at all, so if you know it's there then you can be sure it is doing what it is supposed to.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
19throwaway

Yeah, I can definitely feel it. Looked online and seems that the implant prevents ovulation within a day of insertion, so the only way there would be a risk is if i ovulated before which seems unlikely since I have very long cycles.

Most of the reason I decided to go unprotected after using a condom earlier on Friday is that it felt better for my boyfriend, although we were both freaked out by this ordeal.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English

Unread post by Karyn »

It doesn't sound like there's any reason to think the implant isn't doing its job. :) But, if you would feel better using two methods, would it help to have some info on how to make condoms more comfortable for both of you?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
19throwaway

Yeah, that would be helpful! I think he has decrease sensitivity because of them for some reason.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi 19throwaway,

Okay then, lets start with an article that gives you a run-down of the different condom options out there:
Your Map to the Condom Aisle

I would also say, have you heard of internal (aka female) condoms? Those might be an option for you two as well
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic