Risk of pregnancy and pre-cum

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
amyk
Awesomeness Quotient: My humour
Primary language: English
Pronouns: No
Sexual identity: Female

Risk of pregnancy and pre-cum

Unread post by amyk »

Hi i’m new to this site. I’m really worried about the risk of pregnancy because my partner put his fingers inside me and slightly touching his penis. I had given him oral first although, so there was quite a bit of lubrication by the time he wanted to finger me. he swiped his fingers across his penis and then inserted them into me. at this stage, he was no where near actually ejaculating. There was also no genital to genital contact what so ever, and he did not cum near my vagina. A day after, i had brown discharge for 2/3 days and cramping. i’m not sure if that could be implantation bleeding because it was very soon afterwards so i’m assuming it isn’t. I assume this brown discharge could have been due to maybe an injury that he may have caused me while fingering me. I am writing this 3 weeks after that day happened. i am just concerned that i may be pregnant because of it because i feel like ( or have convinced myself i do ) i could have pregnancy symptoms and haven’t gotten my period. although my period is very irregular. But it has been nearly a month since that day and i have taken countless pregnancy tests that all come back negative. i am very confused and worried. please if someone could help me i’m desperate.
thankyou :(
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Risk of pregnancy and pre-cum

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi amyk,

So, the important thing to focus on is that you've done one of the big things we recommend when people are having a pregnancy scare: you've taken pregnancy tests, and they've all come back negative. Which means you're not pregnant, regardless of all the other things you're noticing in your body (and a lot of things we think of as pregnancy symptoms can have other explanations: Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul).

Since you have all those negative tests, can I ask why you still think you might be pregnant?
amyk

Unread post by amyk »

Somehow my body just feels different after this specific encounter with my partner. The symptoms are not my usual pms symptoms i get before my period. The slight bleeding and cramping i felt for a couple of days afterwards freaked me out because i’m worried if that has to do with a possible pregnancy. Could it have been from an injury ? maybe he hit my cervix? I also am unsure if it would be a good idea to trust the pregnancy test, if 3 weeks post sex long enough to get an accurate result? i have had headaches a lot since that day and have just not felt myself. Do you think the brown discharge was a normal thing to happen? i’m really just worried about the whole situation. i have read through your articles about the 3 week rule and pregnancy tests but i just can’t seem to calm my nerves either way. Not until i get my period at least. After sexual encounters, can a girl hormones completely go crazy? as in can your hormones make you experience all these “symptoms” that you think are pregnancy? but aren’t. In the pat sexual encounters have messed up my periods although they’re quite irregular. i’m also just getting random cramping out of no where which is a bit scary because i link that to possible pregnancy aswell.

But overall these are my key questions -
: is 3 weeks an accurate amount of time to wait for an accurate result?
: was the brown discharge anything to really worry about?
: can sexual encounters shift your hormones ? (can they make your experience “symptoms” when it’s really your body just getting back on track ?)
: would the pregnancy hormone show up on a test by now (3 and a bit weeks post sexual encounter?)
: and last one, do you think i have a big risk of pregnancy ?

i really appreciate your time and dedication to replying. Helping me out in this time when i’m freaking out is a big weight lifted,
thankyou Amy
Latha
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, Amyk
is 3 weeks an accurate amount of time to wait for an accurate result?
would the pregnancy hormone show up on a test by now (3 and a bit weeks post sexual encounter?)
Yes, waiting three weeks is enough for an accurate result, and yes, the pregnancy hormone (hCG) would show up on a test by now.
was the brown discharge anything to really worry about?
I don't think the brown discharge is a sign that you are pregnant. It could have been spotting because of a hormonal imbalance, or it could have been caused by some small tears or scapes from when your partner fingered you.
can sexual encounters shift your hormones ? (can they make your experience “symptoms” when it’s really your body just getting back on track ?)
Having sex can't really shift your hormones on its own. And as Sam mentioned, pregnancy isn't the only thing that could be causing these symptoms. (This is discussed in detail in that article that article that Sam linked if you'd like to read more)
and last one, do you think i have a big risk of pregnancy ?
No, not at all. The negative pregnancy tests are a good indication that you are not pregnant.

I hope this will help you feel better. 💛
amyk

Unread post by amyk »

I really appreciate all your answers to my questions
i have another question,
I have noticed i am peeing more often, but i may just be convincing myself i am.
I am still taking tests everyday and they’re all negative. it’s coming close upto being a full month post sexual encounter. I am a wondeirng, if i were pregnant and peeing more often as a result, would my pregnancy test show positive by now? as i read somewhere that peeing more often is a result of increased HCG in your system.
I’m just confused because wouldn’t a pregnancy test be positive by now if i were pregnant ?
i’m sorry if that doesn’t make full sense
Latha

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Amyk

Yes, it is true that peeing more often during pregnancy is due to increased levels of hCG, and yes, if you were pregnant, it would show up on pregnancy tests by now. But don't worry, you can trust the results of the pregnancy tests that you've been taking- you are not pregnant. Really, you don't need to keep buying pregnancy tests, this answer will not change.

Honestly, worrying like this seems pretty stressful- I think we have an article that could help you with this: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You Think You Are? It discusses different reasons why you might be so worried about being pregnant, and what you can do to feel better.
amyk

Unread post by amyk »

Thankyou for all your reassurance !
do you think i should visit a doctor if my period does not come though? And that i keep getting negative pregnancy tests.
thankyou
Latha

Unread post by Latha »

Should you visit the doctor? Oh yes, that might be a good idea- they could look into the cause of the irregular periods that you mentioned, if you don't know the cause already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic