Period 2 weeks early?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Dreamlore
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm creative!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Asexual

Period 2 weeks early?

Unread post by Dreamlore »

Hi! I have a quick question about menstrual cycles. So i completely skipped a period this December just gone; my last one before that was the end of November and then i didn't get another until around the 26th January. It was a pretty normal period but with slightly less cramping and no breast pain before which i almost always get. Now its only the 9th feb and i have very sore breasts and have started to feel slight cramping begin like the start of another period, like when you can just tell you're about to start.

Since its only been 2 weeks since i started my last one i was just wondering if this is something normal that can happen?! I'm usually later rather than early with my cycle and im just a bit confused! Especially since i skipped one altogether before. I'm not sexually active and haven't had any major stresses lately, though id say I've put on maybe a stone of weight in the last few months (i was underweight before so it was pretty necessary!)

Thank you for your time! (that wasn't such a quick question sorry 😂)
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Period 2 weeks early?

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Dreamlore,

Menstrual cycles can and do vary a lot, and since you have important recent weight change as a possible factor all by itself this wouldn't concern me too much. That said, if you before this you had many years of very predictable periods, and they've suddenly become irregular then the NHS recommends you do go to see your GP just to check that they aren't a symptom of something larger. Does that feel doable for you?
Dreamlore
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm creative!
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Asexual

Unread post by Dreamlore »

To be honest they've never been what I'd call 'regular' not like, "i can be sure on THIS DAY I'll start", it's very common for them to be late by one or two weeks but it was a lot of years ago that i last got one so early. Ill keep an eye on what happens and call the doctor if they keep being weird, thanks for the advice!
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Emily N »

I agree with Siân that it likely isn't too much to be concerned about, especially if your period wasn't extremely regular before! It sounds like a good plan to wait a bit to see if anything changes, and to get in touch with your doctor if it starts to impact your life significantly (abnormal pain or bleeding).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic