Working while in college and jobs for people with disabilities

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
missmariah
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have A.D.D but I won't let it define who I am.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Working while in college and jobs for people with disabilities

Unread post by missmariah »

Hey, Scarleteen!

I have a question. I'm 22 years old and in college. I love it! My only problem is that I'm not sure if I should be working, too. This semester, which is my last one, I am taking six classes, which is a lot for me.

Many of my friends from high school are working and going to school, so I feel sorta below them...I guess is the way I'd describe it. The difference between my friends from high school and I, is that my friends went away to college while I stayed at home with my parents. So my friends had to get jobs to support themselves, but my parents are helping me out right now with money. I feel like a loser :( Also, one of my friends is getting married in the fall and we're suppose to be giving her a bachelorette party out of state and I have no money!! I don't want to have to depend on my parents to pay for the trip :( Can anyone help me, please? I don't know what to do..

I also have A.D.D which makes working and going to school really hard, and I've had some terrible experiences working because of my disability so I'm really not sure what to do. Are there any easy jobs out there for people with disabilities? I'm looking at working at a retirement home where my grandfather lives because I know everyone there, but I'm not sure...
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Working while in college and jobs for people with disabilities

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi missmariah,

I want to start by saying that, as much as you can, try not to compare where you are in life with where your friends are. We all deal with different circumstances in our lives, so it makes sense that some people will be at one point while others are at a totally different one. Too, there's no one way to move forward in life, even if our culture does tend to position certain things (getting married, having kids) as moving "ahead." Does that make sense?

As far as the job goes, there are a few starting points you could try. The first is to see if there are resources at your school for students with disabilities, and if that resource could help you find a job. You could also try something like the student employment center (most schools have one). Jobs you find there, especially if they're campus based, are more likely to be able to accommodate a student schedule.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic