Amazing Clinic Exp: Insuranc Birth control, Assult Help,etc.

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
sadiesluvsyu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: intelligence
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight female

Amazing Clinic Exp: Insuranc Birth control, Assult Help,etc.

Unread post by sadiesluvsyu »

Source: My good experience ;)

I just got IUD (skyla) yesterday at planned parenthood in San Diego, California. I chose this because it's secretive, you only get it done once, and it lasts for three years. Also, they reccommend it to young teens such as myself so they we're more than happy to do the procedure. But, my family is extremely religious and does NOT believe in sex before marriage. But, my boyfriend and I have been waiting for a long time. So I went by myself (had a friend's parent drive me to the clinic). I walked in and told the the lady at the desk my appointment time and situation. She said I can go by confidentiality (meaning my mother/guardian doesn't have to know.) By the way, I don't have California insurance yet since I just moved here 2 years ago from the east coast. Fortunately, I was able to register for the Family PACT, which covered EVERYTHING! First, I had almost like a mini-check up sort of thing, and the doctor made me sign certain things, gave me a card, and said that I can use it for my future appointments at any planned parenthoods for F-R-E-E! :o Next, He asked for a urine sample to make sure I wasn't prego and then go into a different room by myself to strip from waste down. I was covered with a provided cloth, but I still felt nervous and shaky. Luckily, I had a female doctor and assistant so it was easier to get somewhat comfortable. She made me lay down and prop my legs up. BEFORE STARTED SHE ASKED ME IF I HAD ANY ALLERGIES. (GLAD SHE ASKED BECAUSE I'M ALLERGIC TO A LOT HA!). Make sure if you DO HAVE A SHELLFISH ALLERGY TELL THEM BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE TO USE A NON-SHELLFISH LUBE. :!: Although, I did feel sharp pinches and cramps here and there, it was completely bearable and QUICK! My doctor said it was ok to be on my phone (it died.), but I just read SAT prep stuff. When she cut the strings she told me to feel the ones that she cut and to sometimes check to make sure that it's still in my uterus. Afterwards, I felt a little cramp, but it went a way in about 2 hours (and during my period I NEVER get cramps). But, thank God I took motrin an hour before! :shock: (When I got home, I took 2 doeses of [*]aspirin- it helped a lot! Also, I was on my period, which they say is the best time to get an IUD done because... something about your cervix loosening?... :roll: PLUS IT'S LESS PAINFUL. No, I NEVER had kids before (I'm a junior in high school), and my boyfriend, and I want to start possibly starting a family either when I graduate from MED school, or maybe even after high school... it depends (we want seven! HAHA). But, back to the process, I was kinda clintching in the area* so she told me to relax. The entire time: I DIDN'T SQUIRM AT ALL! She said that I was the best patient that she had; it's funny because I'm a virgin so according to her, my vagina is extremely little. I told her that i haven't been to a women doctor since I was molested. Immediately, when I said that they had a sympathetic look on their face and were concerned. They told me with every patient they file a report so they can get people to help protect and support them, if they have trauma from sexual abuse rather if it's from 1 or 30 years ago because they care. The assistant also at the end asked me, if I wanted condoms because you CANNOT have unprotected sex until 7days after the insertion. She also mentioned that I may have spotting for three to six months, and my period might even stop completely. When I received the condoms, it was a BOATLOAD HAHA! I got papers about the skyla and sexual abuse contacts and info. They we're the kindest and most helpful people I've ever met at a clinic so I would highly recommend getting skyla done at any local planned parenthood as a reliable health care provider, especially for teens!

-Hope this helps! :D

Note: Everyone's experience is different, but it's better for you and the doctor, if you stay
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Amazing Clinic Exp: Insuranc Birth control, Assult Help,

Unread post by Ashleah »

Happy to hear this all worked out so well! Please let us know if you need any additional assistance when it comes to seeking healthcare!!!
sadiesluvsyu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: intelligence
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight female

Unread post by sadiesluvsyu »

Thank you! Sorry for the typos... haha (Assault* not assult and the last part should've been... "to stay calm". And "Insurance" ... (I was tired haha) :lol:
musicalnoise
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Unread post by musicalnoise »

Wow thanks for your post. I also want to get Skyla or Mirena soon. Did you get it all done in one appointment? Also, what do you have to do to qualify for family PACT?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

FamilyPACT is a state program only for California residents, who are minors or uninsured adults. It's not national.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
musicalnoise
not a newbie

Hi Heather! I know, my home is in CA so I'm here for the summer.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Ah. All the same, adults with contraceptive coverage aren't eligible.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
musicalnoise
not a newbie

oh, I see. good to know. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic