Songs for Sex Ed!

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Songs for Sex Ed!

Unread post by KierC »

Hi everyone!

Recently, a friend of mine asked me: If you had to make a playlist about sex ed, what songs would be on it?

This question was a little confusing at first. Was my friend asking for “songs about intercourse”? Songs about identity? Songs about consent? Songs about the history of women’s sexual healthcare (yes, there’s a song for that!)? There’s so many ways one could go to make a “sex ed playlist,” but hey, listening to music is a way I practice self-care, so why not make a playlist!

I gave it some time and thought over the past couple weeks, and I think I wouldn’t make a single playlist, because when we talk about comprehensive sexuality education (CSE), we talk about different things like consent, safety, relationship skills, agency, resilience, self-acceptance… the list goes on! These topics interact with each other so I think there’d be some repetition too.

Here’s one song I thought about initially when thinking about consent (NO by Meghan Trainor also came up in my head immediately):

Slow Down — Alicia Keys

What songs come to mind for you, about any of these topics or about something I didn’t mention? Relatedly, what would you name your playlist if you made your own?
Asking Queries
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like rocks
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Trans, girlflux, lesbian/bisexual

Re: Songs for Sex Ed!

Unread post by Asking Queries »

Hi!

I know this post has been up for a while, but I figured I might as contribute!

I really like But You’ll Do by MALINDA (https://youtu.be/MSWSy9fpcpY?si=a63Jdf4JMhW0rnvk), it talks about a lot and is hard to summarize, but I like it as what feels like a song about strong but not enmeshing love.

Playlist name — hmm… not sure.

- AQ
“… we need to recognize that adolescents, like all human beings, need strong social bonds. To provide youth with such bonds—at an interpersonal and societal level—is the work of us all.” - Amy T. Schalet, Not Under My Roof.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Songs for Sex Ed!

Unread post by KierC »

That song is so awesome for this!

I really appreciate when they sing “I don’t need everything from you”: this is such a good reminder in sex ed that our community is exactly that — a community of many people in many places — and not one person can do or be ~everything~ for us … and that’s okay!

Thank you for adding onto this thread, I always enjoy new songs!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic