Why do I get upset over things that aren't a big deal?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Rachel 1
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Im kind and good at drawing
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She or her
Sexual identity: Female

Why do I get upset over things that aren't a big deal?

Unread post by Rachel 1 »

I just keep dwelling on things so it makes me talk about for a long time is it because of my autism of why I get upset over things that aren't a big deal? I think it bothered at the fact that people understood where periods go and it toke me so long to understand where periods go in a sentence. people having sex shouldn't be a big deal if its done in private so why does people having sex bug me at times? Having Trouble with learning generally is apart of autism that can be why it toke me so long to understand where periods go. I can have trouble learning with other subjects as well another example is it toke me a long time to understand how to even create a account on here.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Why do I get upset over things that aren't a big deal?

Unread post by Heather »

Morning, Rachel.

My experience is that this is the case for a lot of people, but for sure, some kinds of neurodivergence can make it happen more often, be harder to let go of when it does happen, or both.

Personally, I wouldn't get hung up on the validity of any of your kinds of upset. We feel what we feel! Instead, what I'd focus on is what you can do when this does happen to just let yourself feel those feelings and then let them go, so that when you do get upset over things, it's not something that is a big deal for *you* in terms of getting in the way of your life and how you feel overall.

Do you have ways to manage these feelings when they come up that are effective for you?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic