Menstrual cup - pot??

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
anonym05
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Menstrual cup - pot??

Unread post by anonym05 »

Well, I've bought myself a menstrual cup, because menstrual cups started pissing me off and I know that you have to boil a menstrual cup before using it and after your period ends. Do I have to get a brand new pot for this or would a cleaned pot that would be only used for my menstrual cup be enough??
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Menstrual cup - pot??

Unread post by Heather »

You so don't need a new pot or reserve a pot only for this use! Your cup and what was in it won't do anything to your pot, and the same is true in reverse. And cleaning the pot before and after works with this the same way it does with anything else you put in a pot.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
anonym05
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Unread post by anonym05 »

That's good to know. It's just that my friend told me that I should get a new pot, because he thinks there could be food residue and bacteria and that that could give me a vaginal disease or like an UTI or something and I would prefer not having to tell my parents about that lol.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Because you're boiling the water, that just isn't something you have to worry about. Just like boiling takes care of any bacteria on your cup, it does the same for the pot you're boiling it in. And UTIs happen when and if bacteria enters the urinary tract, not the vagina, and they aren't connected.

(I also am not sure what a "vaginal disease" is, but it sounds like maybe this friend isn't the best choice for health information?)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic