Bikini Line Hair at the Beach?

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
eatyourgreens
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Bikini Line Hair at the Beach?

Unread post by eatyourgreens »

Hi, I am asking this question here because I think it may not be just me who has wondered this before. I am going on holiday soon, which will be a beach holiday, and up till now (I'm 20 years old) I have shaved my body (at least when I've been on the beach) as in my armpits, my legs and my bikini line. This question isn't so much about my armpits and legs, but actually about my bikini line.

I've recently been more comfortable not shaving/shaving when I want to, and having my armpits and legs be seen, realising this is a personal choice on whether you want to shave or not, and when etc. But now going on holiday, it will be the first time that there will be a chance of someone seeing my bikini line (who isn't my boyfriend). I initially wanted to keep it natural (so it's fluffy on the sides of my panties too) but it made me wonder if it's even appropriate to show bikini line hair at the beach?

Armpit hair and leg hair, although they're socially a bit unusual, they don't really have the association with being something private or related to something sexual, but bikini line hair, is pretty much pubic hair.. So I'm kind of confused. Obviously, I've personally never seen someone wearing a bikini at the beach with an unshaved bikini line, so I'm wondering whether - if I wanted to keep it unshaven, it would be okay to show or if it would be too 'intimate' and I would then have to wear a different sort of bikini to cover it?

I know guys aren't expected to wax or anything down there, but they wear boxers, don't they? So their pubic hair is covered anyway... Does that mean if I wanted to keep my bikini line unshaven I would have to cover it as well?

Plus, I'm going on holiday with family too and I really don't know. Can you please help? :?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bikini Line Hair at the Beach?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Cottoncandy,

It's totally within bounds to have a little tuftiness on your bikini line when at the beach, if for no other reason than most people, generally, won't actually notice. They're all busy paying attention to their own body hang-ups/playing in the water/ this cool rock that they found on the beach, so odds are no one will say anything. If someone does, you can just say "it's more comfortable for me not to shave and also that is none of your business."

I will add that, if you're feeling a little self-conscious, "boy short" bikini bottoms are a great compromise, since they generally cover your bikini line.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

And for that matter, that's probably why you haven't noticed others pubic hair yourself! :)

Just FYI, the idea pubic hair alludes to sex or sexuality is something I'd suggest you question. Someone having pubic hair or someone seeing it doesn't say anything about sex. All it says, if anything, is that you are a person past puberty. 100 years ago, people would suggest women showing their ankles said something about sex, and this really has no more merit. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Esmerelda
not a newbie

Unread post by Esmerelda »

Oh my gosh, I feel your problem so much! I'm 19, and I recently stopped shaving my armpits and pubic hair as well, because as you say, that is everyone's personal choice, and I think that body hair can be quite attractive. I live right next to a beach and whether to shave my bikini line has been an issue this summer. Generally, I have been shaving just enough so it isn't sticking out the top of my bikini bottoms because I think that's a little unseamly, and literally just trimming the sides so it wasn't noticably sticking out. As for the underneath bit, I figure no one is going to be looking there, so I have left it au naturale. You'd think bikinis should be made big enough (at least some styles??) to cover one's pubes. *sigh*. On the other hand, when I'm with girlfriends and my boyfriend I just leave it. They know I have pubes. I don't care if they can see them. But I can understand wanting to cover up more on a family holiday. Do whatever you find comfortable. Hope you have a nice holiday! :)
Sunshine
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a quote for every situation
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Sunshine »

I have never shaved my pubic hair, ever, and I am here to tell you that nobody has ever seemed to notice when I was at the beach or swimming pool (and I go swimming a lot). I've had to deal with a lot of unfriendly, unsolicited attention in my life, especially while wearing my bathing clothes, but it's never been about that.

I mean, how rude would that be? Someone coming up to you and saying "I can see your pubic hair"? My response would be "I am disturbed by how closely you seem to be studying my body and I think you should find something more worthwhile to do with your time".

I shave my armpits and legs, but a lot of my family doesn't, and they haven't been told off for that either.

If you want to cover up your hair because it makes you personally feel more comfortable, go right ahead (my bikini bottoms aren't terribly revealing for a whole variety of reasons), but if it's only other people's reactions you're worried about, I'd say from my experience, don't give it another thought.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic