Shaming as a man

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
mika.m
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: No one is flawless
Primary language: Persian(Farsi)
Pronouns: He/him
Sexual identity: Bisexual, Male cis

Shaming as a man

Unread post by mika.m »

I've heard a lot that in the old days, men limits women's freedom by patriarchy
I know that's true but it's a little annoying to me because I'm a man too. I support gender equality and women's rights but this fact makes me a little bit sad and think that we men were so cruel.
Is there any way to get along with that?
Willa
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Re: Shaming as a man

Unread post by Willa »

Hi Mika.m,

The patriarchy in simplest terms can be understood as the system of subjugation and oppression of women socially, economically, sexually, physically, etc by men and larger systemic institutions. Understanding this we can take these ideas further by understanding how individuals outside of the gender binary are also negatively affected by patriarchy and how patriarchy can be upheld by many different actions, people, and things. Unfortunately although there have been changes throughout time, the patriarchy still is very much present in today's society. The best way to grapple with this reality is to uplift the voices of people most affected by patriarchy and listen to their advice on how best we can liberate ourselves from it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic