I feel bored and dissatisfied during sex and masturbation, is this because of my past?

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
Jess.222
Awesomeness Quotient: My personality
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

I feel bored and dissatisfied during sex and masturbation, is this because of my past?

Unread post by Jess.222 »

I’m 17 and I’ve been sexually active with my bf for about 2 month now. I haven’t told him that I feel somewhat stressed and bored while having sex. I’m not sure if this is due to my past of multiple sexual abuse experiences or maybe I’m just not feeling it.

Before sex I have no issues with getting turned on, however, as soon as we start having sex I end up feeling very trapped and dissatisfied - sex does nothing for me.

I feel as though it’d be a good call talking to my boyfriend about the issue and maybe agreeing to have sex later on in our relationship again, but I’m scared of his thoughts and I doubt it’d last anyway.

I’ve heard of multiple stories about girls having similar issues, even ones that haven’t gone through sexual trauma. And it has me thinking, are us girls just put on this earth to pleasure the men? Do all girls secretly have this issue? Am I just broken from past experiences? Is it just a subconscious thing? Is there a way to fix it?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I feel bored and dissatisfied during sex and masturbation, is this because of my past?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jess.222,

To answer one of your last questions first: no, women as a category don't exist as sexual beings simply to please men, and plenty of women have sex lives that they enjoy. But, as you pointed out, there are plenty of women who experience sex as unsatisfying, and there can be different reasons for that. A history of sexual abuse is one of them, so that may be playing a role here. Can you give me a sense of what, if any, support you've received in terms of healing from the abuse?

I agree that talking with your boyfriend about this issue is the logical next step, but it sounds like you have some misgivings about it. Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean when you say you're scared of what his thoughts will be if you tell him, and why you think the boundary wouldn't last?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic