Was this okay? Not sure how to feel...

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
consentquery

Was this okay? Not sure how to feel...

Unread post by consentquery »

I'm feeling confused about a recent sexual encounter. A few nights ago I was fooling around with a new partner. I was lying on my back and he was rubbing his penis against my vaginal opening, and then he penetrated me slightly. He was watching me for a reaction, and I allowed it, so he went in a little further. At that point I told him he should put on a condom (it's dumb that we weren't already using one, I know) and he agreed and put one on immediately.

Looking back, it makes me uncomfortable that he didn't ask whether it was okay to penetrate me before he did it, especially unprotected. I think he was going off my facial expressions, body language, and the fact that I wasn't telling him to stop. I don't think he was trying to "get away" with anything, but since I started learning about the concept of affirmative consent (or enthusiastic consent, or whatever you want to call it), I feel like it's important to ask instead of assuming you know what somebody wants. Does that make sense?

I guess my question is, do you think this guy did something wrong? And how weird should I feel about it?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Was this okay? Not sure how to feel...

Unread post by Johanna »

Welcome to Scarleteen, consentquery.

There are no shoulds when it comes to our feelings - however you feel about what happened, is how you feel about it.

It sounds to me like you felt okay with things at the time, but in thinking about it in retrospect, you'd rather there had been more conversation about what was happening. Do I have that right? If so, and you feel that this is otherwise a respectful, safe partner for you to do be with, why not just bring this up with him and talk about ways in which you can communicate better next time? There is always a learning curve with sex, especially with a new partner. The best way to have the kind of sex you (both!) want to be having is to talk to your partner about making that happen together.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
consentquery

Unread post by consentquery »

Johanna wrote:It sounds to me like you felt okay with things at the time, but in thinking about it in retrospect, you'd rather there had been more conversation about what was happening. Do I have that right?
Thank you for the feedback. :-) And yes, that's an accurate assessment. I do think he's safe and trustworthy, so I'll just ask that he be more verbally communicative in the future.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

That's very good to hear. I hope that talk goes well. :)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic