Does this count as sexual abuse?

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
suomi
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Autistic
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him

Does this count as sexual abuse?

Unread post by suomi »

He always slapped my rear and touched all around my body. He made sexual comments about me. He had sex with his girlfriend while I was still on the bed with them multiple times. I'm just not sure how to categorize this because I know it was messed up, but I don't feel right calling this anything other than sexual harassment.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Does this count as sexual abuse?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi suomi,

I'm so sorry that person chose to do that to you. I want to start by saying that you are ultimately the one in control of how you choose to describe what happened; we can certainly give you our take on it, but you're the expert on your experiences and feelings.

With all that in mind, this does match the general understanding of sexual assault, particularly when it comes to repeatedly touching you in that way. Too, it sounds like he was functionally involving you in sexual activity you didn't want and didn't consent to by choosing to have sex while you were in bed with him and his girlfriend, which is also a MASSIVE violation of consent. Does that all make sense?
suomi
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Autistic
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him

Unread post by suomi »

Yes! That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for explaining this to me.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're so very welcome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic