my brain seems to "glorify" abuse

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
lb07
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: uuh...
Pronouns: He/They
Sexual identity: bi???

my brain seems to "glorify" abuse

Unread post by lb07 »

this... sounds really bad now that im talking about it. but, i was a victim of CSA at age 3, i didnt remember it as i blocked it out, but eventually i realized. for a while, i would hear stories about SA and... somewhat.. wishing it would happen to me? this was happening before i realized i was SA'd and its still happening now. i.. dont know how to describe it, my brain makes it seem... less bad than it is. its not even with my own abuse, its with like... abuse in general. i used to think i "wished" for this to happen because i dont feel valid with what i went through as i forgot it and still dont remember much. i dont know. i.. i feel so bad. i know abuse isnt something to glorify at all, but my brain has a mind of its own.. i guess.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: my brain seems to "glorify" abuse

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi lb07,

I'm so sorry that you are having to process things from when you were 3. Thoughts like the ones you describe are actually pretty common for survivors of abuse. For some of us, putting ourselves in the position of of hypothetically wanting the fantasy version of something bad, it can feel like a way to take back the power from whoever hurt us. Like an unconscious version of "You can't fire me, I quit!". I don't think that's anything to feel bad about - it's just one of the many different routes people take to surviving, as unusual and disturbing as it might feel in hindsight.

Have you ever had any support or therapy to help you with processing your experiences? Especially when you're remembering different ways you've had these thoughts since a very young age, it can be a delicate process to put all the pieces back together and a good therapist can be super helpful.

We can probably help you look around if that's something you'd be interested in?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic