How to deal with boyfriend going off to college?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Nervousone
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Anything really. I'm not picky!
Sexual identity: Straight

How to deal with boyfriend going off to college?

Unread post by Nervousone »

My boyfriend and I are both in college. For the last two years, we've been in a community college just to get some of the basics out of the way. He was recently accepted into UCLA and will be starting in January. This kind of goes without saying, but I don't want him to go. We've been together for a few years now, and I've been used to seeing him all the time. It'll just be weird when that can't happen for weeks at a time. He got me a promise ring and said we'll make it work, even with distance. I'm all for that, but it doesn't change the fact that he's leaving. I don't really know how to deal with that. How can I make it a little easier?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: How to deal with boyfriend going off to college?

Unread post by Mo »

One thing that can help with long-distance relationships is to set up regular "dates" in the form of phone/skype calls, or using one of those services online where people can both watch streaming tv or movies together. It might take him a bit to figure out where to fit that into his new schedule, but maybe you can have a discussion about finding specific times to check in. With so much socializing happening online I think long-distance relationships might be more common than they used to be, and they're also easier to maintain if both people have an internet or phone connection. Maybe the two of you can sit down and think about specific ways you can keep in touch so you will have something more concrete than "we'll make it work" to rely on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic