how to tell parents im in an online relationship

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
deerofrot
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/he/skel
Sexual identity: gay

how to tell parents im in an online relationship

Unread post by deerofrot »

hi, I'm 16 yrs old and in an online relationship. we've been together for 3 months and I'm so in deep. I've seen their face about a bajilion times, so I know I'm not catfished. I've met their brother, younger sibling, and mother, but the only person who knows I'm in a relationship is my idiot older brother (who I loathe).

I just need to know how to tell my parents I'm in a healthy, safe, online relationship. my mom would support me dating, I mean I'm 16, the legal age of consent in my state. but, she would assume it would be irl, as in someone from my high school, but I just can't date people from my high school.

anyway, yeah, that's the post. how do I tell my parents I'm in a relationship and have them not view it as a dumb, teenager, unsafe decision?
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: how to tell parents im in an online relationship

Unread post by Latha »

Hi Deerofrot! Welcome to the boards, and congratulations on your relationship!

It is good to hear that your mother would support you dating in general- that should make it easier for her to listen to you about this.

As with any sensitive conversation, try to have this discussion when everyone has enough time, and isn't stressed. You could ask your parents to hear you out, and then tell you about any concerns they have so you can talk about them together. If you know exactly what they're worried about, you may be able to address it. For example, if they are worried that you're being catfished, you could show them pictures of your partner (ask for permission from your partner first) or arrange a meeting/phone call.

Is your father also supportive of you dating? If you don't know what he thinks, or if he is on the fence about it, you might consider speaking to your mother alone first. That way, she could help you talk to your father.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic